We love our sellers and we love sharing their success stories! Read how these sisters went from stay-at-home moms to successful stay-at-home mom bosses, with a little help from yours truly.
What is the story behind Fancy Frills?
We are sisters who grew up with a love for fashion! Our mom has worked at Nordstrom since we can remember, so its been engrained in us! As busy full-time moms with young kids, we got to talking about Very Jane (back before they dropped the “very”) and how people were selling just tons of different stuff. We thought it looked like a fun thing to do on the side and wanted to try out selling a couple accessories. We honestly never DREAMED we’d get to where we are today! We remember telling people we would NEVER sell clothes, it just seemed way too hard to get into. Now it’s all we sell. We sold on Jane for a while before expanding with our own website! We have loved this journey, and we’d be nothing without Jane!!
How did you come up with the name?
Honestly, it was the only name we didn’t hate ;). Our maiden name is Fox, so we were trying to come up with something that started with an F to go with Fox, and that didn’t work out, but Fancy Frills kinda just stuck. Lame, we know!
How long have you been running Fancy Frills?
We started in October of 2012. Crazy to think it’s almost been 4 years!
How long have you been selling on Jane.com?
Since October of 2012 :). Jane was the start of our business!
What was your first deal on Jane.com?
We sold wrap watches and they were super successful! We were hooked on selling with Jane after one deal!
How has selling on Jane.com affected Fancy Frills?
Jane has been the foundation of our entire business! We started selling on Jane before we even had our own website, any employees, or any other products—aside from the few items we sold on Jane! We would literally not be in business without Jane, and we are so grateful for them every day! They always push us to have more deals, more inventory, and find new products. They are the reason we’ve grown so much!
On average, how many deals do you run on Jane in a given week?
35-40 deals a week
What do you love most about being a seller on Jane.com?
We love how amazing all the employees are! They genuinely care so much about their sellers, and they want everyone to succeed! If we ever need help, there are so many people ready and willing! They always make us feel so great and appreciated.
We also love how user friendly the website is for sellers. We rarely ever sell anywhere else, because Jane’s seller dashboard makes our lives so much easier! We also love their marketing—it’s like free publicity for us, just for selling with them! With all their awesome ads, social media, emails, etc. We are so grateful for the fact that Jane gets their seller’s names out there! The list goes on and on and on… We LOVE Jane!!
What has been the biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?
Our biggest challenge is definitely balancing work and family life! We are both busy moms and definitely feel the mom guilt at times! We spend many soccer practices, dentist appointments, and late, late nights working from our phones or laptops! Our kids all know what Jane is, since we work from home and it’s talked about so often ;). But, we have been able to provide amazing experiences for them through Fancy Frills, and we are so lucky to be able to stay home while we “work!” We work a lot of late nights while the kids are asleep, and we both have amazingly supportive husbands who help us out; we would not be able to do this without them!!
What has been your biggest success as a business owner?
Our biggest success has just been seeing how far we have come, when we really just thought we would sell a few accessories for fun. When we moved in a big warehouse for the first time, we finally realized that this was the real deal! We have made successful careers for others that work with us, and it’s so rewarding to see that!
If you could give new sellers 3-5 tips of advice what would they be?
- Know that there will be ups and downs! We have times where all our deals kill it, then times where we feel like we can’t sell a thing. (Mostly just us being dramatic.) Save up for the slow times and know that it’ll pick right back up, and things will be crazy busy again so soon!
- Hire quality, not quantity. We only have a handful of employees, but they’re all super amazing and know their stuff; we wouldn’t be where we are today without them!
- Shipping—We’re lucky to have an amazing fulfillment team. This was the first thing we hired out, and the best decision we made. Customers love quick shipping, and we love having super cool, trustworthy people do it for us so we can focus on other aspects of the business!
- Photography—this is what will make you stand out on Jane! Find a photography style that works for you, and stick with it so customers will know your awesome deal when they see it! Also be sure your main collages pop, so they draw attention on the site!
- Customer Service—Make sure those awesome people want to keep coming back and buying from you!! I mean, that’s the point, right? ;)