Wintertime (like pictured above) is absolutely breath taking. The problem is, winter isn’t so picture perfect. After the holidays I start to get a little anxious and some seasonal depression starts kicking it. Now keep in mind, this is self prescribed seasonal depression and my tips and tricks may not solve your unique case. So don’t hold me to anything. If your case is serious, see a doctor, but you could keep reading too if you’d like ;) So here are my tips on How To: Bust the Winter Blues.
- Open the blinds and let the sunshine in. Misery loves company and I swear misery loves dark rooms too. If you are feeling gloomy, open the blinds to let the light in! A small dose of sunshine is the perfect way to start the day. The first thing I do in the morning is open up all the blinds, yep I am that person. If you are in a city that has a wintery gloom I have heard Happy Lights help ;)
- Get some fresh air! Being cooped up inside really takes a toll on my winter blues. A quick breath of fresh air, even if it’s only to the mailbox and back, does a soul good! It amazes me how stress seems to fly out the windows when we take a break from the house and the work that comes with it, and just chill outside for a minute.
- Establish an exercise routine. This doesn’t have to be anything crazy, a simple 10 min yoga sesh in your family room could suffice. Get your blood moving and your heart pumping. Plus I heard this great quote once that bikini bodies are sculpted in the winter. And the idea of sculpting a nice summer bod is sure to take the blues away.
- Bake cookies! The smell of fresh baked cookies makes everyone happy :) But if you are going to take part in the above tip, I’d suggest keeping this one to a minimum.
- Talk with friends often. When it’s cold outside and playdates are few and far between, mom life can feel a bit lonely. Add that to a grey sky and no sunshine and you have yourself a recipe for winter blues. I try to have some sort of adult conversation a day. Whether that is through text message, phone or a face to face convo. It really helps me break up the mundane winter routine of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and fighting bad guys.
- Getaway! This is seriously my saving grace during the dreary Utah winters. We are lucky enough to live fairly close to God’s country, St. George. You can always count on good ole’ St G to offer blue skies no matter the temperature. A small taste of warmer weather may give you the energy and liveliness to make it through the rest of the winter! Or, it will taunt you with what you can’t have. Either or…
Well there you have it. A few tips to busting those nasty winter blues. The great thing about winter is it doesn’t last forever, unless you live somewhere where it does…. you’re on your own for that one. Peace out friend!